Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Well... Hello there!

Wow! So it's been a while...like 5 whole years. What?!

Truth is, I've missed blogging, but...life. (Can I get an Amen?!)

I've decided to dip my toe back in and start slowly with occasional posts as time permits.

In these past 5 years we've kept one small human alive, spent lots of quality time with friends and family, and, just under a year ago, moved into our second home. The good news, (for the blog), is that we haven't done much to the house yet, so I should have lots of thrifty home improvement projects to share in the coming months. We're about to get serious, people. (I hope.) ;)

In the meantime, I'm having lots of fun decorating for the different seasons and trying to find our style in this house.

Case in point-- our fireplace mantle...  It was billed as a "custom fireplace" in the real estate listing and we still haven't decided if we love it or not. Some days I'm all in. Other days I'm not. Maybe we just haven't refined the furniture placement to make it feel 100% yet?

Anyway, my first attempt at finding our new "style" for Spring/Summer resulted in this:


Simple. An old thrifted frame around my wedding bouquet (yes, I used faux flowers -- cheapskate, remember?), white resin deer head from Target. All the other items came from Michael's at various times--when on sale of course. ;)

Just this past week, I updated it for Fall, and I think I'm digging it.

I'm really into neutrals these days, but I decided that this Fall, I may have to re-decorate multiple times-- Early Fall (Sept.) = Neutrals, Halloween (Oct.) = Spooky Decor, Thanksgiving (Nov.) = deeper jewel tones (maybe-- I'm still debating this one).

For now though:
The off-kilter fireplace screen in this photo makes we want to gouge my eyeballs out, but of course I didn't notice it when I took the photo. Arrgghhh!

I decided to leave up the faux deer head, because, well... I like it. :)


The frame fills the space well and I needed some additional green on the mantle, so the 'M' made it's way back too.

Everything else I had in my stash already.


The little white pumpkins/gourds were actually from a bag of cheap foam pumpkins/gourds from the dollar tree. I simply spray painted them glossy white. The copper pot and the glass hurricane vase were picked up at a Goodwill for $1 each.


The leaf/berry sprigs were all picked up at Michael's during end of season sales for 70% - 80% off and the two amber glass mosaic candle holders were gifted to us. The pitcher was purchased as decor for our wedding 12 years ago, (apparently our mantle has a wedding theme), and the dried wheat I bought 4 years ago with a 40% off coupon at Michaels.


I just love this drapey (faux) greenery. I purchased this for my niece's bridal shower.


Art work in the background by my crazy talented brother-in-law.


                                                                   There it is again-- the fireplace screen...I just want to fix it so badly!

I've got lots of ideas kickin' around in my head for this house and I finally think it's time to start bringing some of them to life. I can't wait to share them with you!

And, if you followed my blog before, or you know me at all, you won't be surprised to know that in the last 5+ years, I've set-up a bunch of parties too--for all different occasions. Some better than others, but most were photographed for "some day when I bring back my blog".

Stay tuned...

4 comments:

free by the way said...

Woo HOO!!!! Welcome back!!!!!!

Jordan said...

Yay!! I love it, Laura!

Rene' said...

Looks amazing. Come back to NY and work on my house please!! ��

FMCDealer said...


Very nice write-up. I absolutely appreciate this website. Thanks!

TellSubway
DQFanSurvey