Friday, June 22, 2012

Ninja Party: Dessert Table (Party Part II)

To see the sneak peek of the party invitation, click here.
For Part I of the party (table decor), click here.
 
Every good party deserves a good dessert table right?   

 I LOVE a good dessert and/or snacks table at a party.  It really showcases the food, gives you more choices (for those that don't want cake) and in our case also give your guests a little something more to take home with them!
Since there aren't many "ninja specific" foods, I went with more of a red, black and white color scheme with the desserts.

Hand dipped fortune cookies, oreos, hershey kisses (with cute little party coordinated stickers on them)...
   
I displayed black and red Twizzlers in glass vases adorned with ribbon and paper pinwheels (meant to mimic Chinese throwing stars)...
   
Yogurt Covered Raisins, Strawberries (healthy option) and Swedish Fish - not pictured (mmm... Swedish Fish...).
 
My favorite dessert project however (and the favorite of the party guests) was the faux sushi:
Made with Rice Crispie treats, assorted gummy candies, fruit roll-ups and Fruit-By-The-Foot.  They turned out pretty cute (if I do say so myself).
Cole requested chocolate cake but I know not everyone likes chocolate cake, so I did white cake ninja cupcakes as well. (free printables from here)
I've learned from past experience that I can NOT frost a cake to save my life (and my sister-in-law who makes the most amazing cakes lives 4 hours away now) so I just ordered a cake from the local grocery store-- knowing I wanted a cake that was as plain as possible (and as inexpensive as possible). 
I ordered the cake-- just plain white-- no borders, no writing.  I got some weird looks both when I ordered it and when I picked it up and said "perfect!"-- but it really was just what I wanted.

Then since the whole reason we were doing a ninja party was because of my son's obsession with LEGO Ninjago (and the black ninja -- ninja Cole- which was essentially named after my son) I took four of his Ninjago mini-figures (washed them with soap and water) and placed them on top of the cake-- no need for fancy (or expensive) custom cake toppers when I already had the perfect solution right in our... toy box. (sounds weird I know, but it worked!)
We had so much dessert/snacky type food that I also bought some clear treat bags (20 for $1 at Walmart) and asked guests to fill a goodie bag before they left (in addition to the kids goodie boxes that they would get at the end of the party.)  I'm happy to report MOST of the candy/desserts went home with other people!



All in all, I was pretty happy with how it turned out and it was a big hit with kids and parents alike!
Oh and the reason that we had to have both a cake and cupcakes (besides the flavors) was this:
Cole got to cut his cake with a REAL Samuari Sword.   He was SO excited!   

And see the back of his shirt.  His birthday party shirt was my first project with my Silhouette Cameo.  I have never been so excited about a t-shirt before, but I LOVED it. (that's the Japanese symbol for the number five- for Cole's 5th birthday)

And a little "behind the scenes" look at the dessert table and the fabric backdrop I created for the dessert table.
So, do you do a dessert table at your parties?

5 comments:

Anne said...

You are amazing! Maybe you could sell your faux sushi... Does it have a shelf life? Could it be mailed everywhere in the country?

Jordan said...

absolutely awesome, Laura! I agree - your faux sushi is amazing!!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh my goodness this all looks so adorable! You did a wonderful job and your son looks like he is having a blast!!

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

This party is amazing! Thanks for submitting it to Living Creative Thursday last week. I featured you today:-) http://www.livinglocurto.com/2013/09/boy-birthday-party-ideas/

Angelina John said...

Hey, i really appreciate your site and its content. Your postings are so good and informational. I personally read them out and they are so influencing. Please do write more about web hosting companies in Pakistan 2019 and Cheap web hosting in Pakistan 2019 . For more information please visit Domain Host Web .