I swear I'm not a CRAZY extreme couponer. I don't have binders full of coupons- I have one (reasonably sized) coupon wallet. I don't have shelves of "just-because-I-got-it-on-sale-stuff"- (I do however have a "gift closet" for small last minute gifts and we have enough LEGO gifts to last FOREVER). I don't spend a ton of time on couponing-- I use other sites that do the work for me, like Thrifty and Thriving, The Krazy Coupon Lady and Mojo Savings.
In the last couple of weeks, the question has come up a couple of times-- "but do you NEED or USE all of these things that you buy?" The short answer is that I've made a pact with myself to only buy things that I have a plan for, no matter how good the deal. If you ever see me posting about things that I bought - "just because they were on sale", please immediately hold an intervention.
Having said all that, check out my latest loot from Target:
Guess how much? (this is my favorite game to play after a couponing trip to Target)
No. Not $14.48. That's how much I SAVED. Look a little higher. Total Payment: $1.81! WHAT???!! Even I was shocked!
Here's a closer look at the stuff that I got for $1.81. (and yes-- I had to use my debit card-- I didn't have cash on me (not even $1.81).
First were the back to school (or office) supplies:
- 10 packs of Paper Mate ball point pens: $1.02 each. (2) $1.00 Target coupons = 2 packs for $.04
- Scotch Magic Tape: $1.00 each. (2) $1.00 Target coupons = 2 rolls for FREE
- 2 packs of Sharpie Markers: marked $1.54 ea. (rang up $1.00 ea.) (2) $1.00 Target coupons = 4 sharpie markers for FREE
- Danimals 6 pk Smoothies $2.74. (1) $1.00 Target coupon = $1.74
- Ortega Taco Seasoning Mix $.69 each. (1) $1.00 off TWO Ortega products = $.19 each
Health and Beauty Products:
- I had a FREE Suave Naturals Body Wash coupon (that I got from a Facebook promotion) so the body wash was FREE.
- Up & Up Nail Polish Remover: $.99. (1) $.50 off Target coupon = $.49
- Hot Wheels Single Cars: $1.07 each. (2) $1.00 off ANY Hot Wheels Product = $.07 each
So if you're following along with your calculator you're now confused (as was I when my total came up), but upon further review of my receipt I saw this:
A Manufacturer's coupon for $2.85.
Here's what I'm guessing happened. I bet the coupon for the FREE Suave bodywash said "up to a value of $2.85" and the cashier just put in the maximum value and not the Target price (which was $1.94) so TECHNICALLY, I made money on this one (and I wasn't even trying). The difference of $.91 easily covers the cost of the ball point pens, taco seasoning and nail polish remover.
So there you have it. All this:
for less than $2.00!
Have you gotten any really good deals lately?