Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Target + Coupons = Love

I swear I'm not a CRAZY extreme couponer.  I don't have binders full of coupons- I have one (reasonably sized) coupon wallet.  I don't have shelves of "just-because-I-got-it-on-sale-stuff"- (I do however have a "gift closet" for small last minute gifts and we have enough LEGO gifts to last FOREVER).  I don't spend a ton of time on couponing-- I use other sites that do the work for me, like Thrifty and ThrivingThe Krazy Coupon Lady and Mojo Savings.  

In the last couple of weeks, the question has come up a couple of times-- "but do you NEED or USE all of these things that you buy?"  The short answer is that I've made a pact with myself to only buy things that I have a plan for, no matter how good the deal.  If you ever see me posting about things that I bought - "just because they were on sale", please immediately hold an intervention.

Having said all that, check out my latest loot from Target:
Guess how much?  (this is my favorite game to play after a couponing trip to Target)

No.  Not $14.48.  That's how much I SAVED.  Look a little higher.  Total Payment:  $1.81!  WHAT???!!  Even I was shocked!

Here's a closer look at the stuff that I got for $1.81. (and yes-- I had to use my debit card-- I didn't have cash on me (not even $1.81).

First were the back to school (or office) supplies:

  • 10 packs of Paper Mate ball point pens:  $1.02 each.  (2) $1.00 Target coupons = 2 packs for $.04
  • Scotch Magic Tape:  $1.00 each.  (2) $1.00 Target coupons = 2 rolls for FREE
  • 2 packs of Sharpie Markers:  marked $1.54 ea. (rang up $1.00 ea.) (2) $1.00 Target coupons = 4 sharpie markers for FREE
I must add that Ultra Fine Point Sharpie markers are my FAVORITE pens ever! (And I think we all know that I have a love affair with stationary type products).   I don't use ball point pens all that often though, so my plan for these is to donate them to a back to school drive for children in need. 

Food:

  • Danimals 6 pk Smoothies $2.74.  (1) $1.00 Target coupon = $1.74
(and my favorite coupon that I use all the time - we use it alot)

  • Ortega Taco Seasoning Mix $.69 each.  (1) $1.00 off TWO Ortega products = $.19 each


Health and Beauty Products:
  • I had a FREE Suave Naturals Body Wash coupon (that I got from a Facebook promotion) so the body wash was FREE.
  • Up & Up Nail Polish Remover:  $.99.  (1) $.50 off Target coupon = $.49
Again, we don't use body wash all that often, but I think this is a good thing to keep in the guest shower (for those who prefer body wash to bar soap). 

Toys:
  • Hot Wheels Single Cars:  $1.07 each.  (2) $1.00 off ANY Hot Wheels Product = $.07 each 


So if you're following along with your calculator you're now confused (as was I when my total came up), but upon further review of my receipt I saw this:

A Manufacturer's coupon for $2.85.  

Here's what I'm guessing happened.  I bet the coupon for the FREE Suave bodywash said "up to a value of $2.85" and the cashier just put in the maximum value and not the Target price (which was $1.94) so TECHNICALLY, I made money on this one (and I wasn't even trying).  The difference of $.91 easily covers the cost of the ball point pens, taco seasoning and nail polish remover.

So there you have it.  All this:
for less than $2.00!

Have you gotten any really good deals lately?  

No comments: